The EdActive Collective is launched! So often, we work for school change in isolation. Not EdActive! Our collective is exploring how we can build momentum by bringing many voices of school change together. With diverse perspectives, experiences, and resources, we believe we will build momentum more quickly.
L-R, top to bottom: Assumption storming at our June collective meeting with Maureen O’Shaughnessy (Education Evolution), Angela Anderson and Amanda Kopischke (Incubate to Educate); Kira Dorrian, Future Focused Parenting, Meg Ormiston (Tech Teachers), Shawnee Caruthers (Getting Smart); Dan Tricarico (Zen Teacher), Nick Wahl (Equal Opportunity Schools), and April Peebler (Heirs to Our Oceans)
There are no easy answers or schools would be keeping pace with technology and the world. The pandemic has taught us that schools can shift very rapidly in an emergency. Last year, author Arundhati Roy wrote in an essay titled The Pandemic is a Portal: “Historically, pandemics have forced humans to break with the past and imagine their world anew. This one is no different. It is a portal, a gateway between one world and the next.” We want to make sure to capture this time to imagine schools anew. It would be tragic to slide back into “what was.” Our hope is to pull together as a collective to help schools become more nimble and responsive, with a focus on equity and well-being. We have lots of great minds in our collective to fuel this hope.
What type of innovators are on our team? Parents, teachers, youth, school leaders, specialists, equity organizations, environmental organizations, facilitators, tech specialists, authors, TEDx speakers…to name a few!
- Some initial EdActive goals—and achievements!
Create a website with our varied educational innovation resources easy to access all in one place—DONE!
- Host a free annual summit with quality presentations that model the changes we are seeking—2021 summit DONE!
- Meet quarterly with an hour in activism teams and an hour as a full collective–inaugural June 2021 meeting HELD!
- Plan and take activism steps on each of our four teams–on our September agenda
In our June meeting, we got to know each other. Since we want to change the narrative, we began by assumption-storming on factors that drive education. Amanda and Angela of Incubate to Innovate facilitated the session. Here are some of the ideas that were shared:
In six groups, we addressed our Call to Action. Again, Amanda and Angela led our groups through four key questions:
- EdActive Collective: What do we want to accomplish? What might look different in 3 months?
- Your Personal Call to Action: What is your “why?”
Collaborate and Connect:
- How might we connect between meetings to keep momentum going?
- Stewardship: How might we leverage our different resources and audiences?
While all of our thoughts were on crossing the finish line of the 20-21 school year, aspirations were high. Taking the summer to let ideas percolate, we plan to return in the fall ready to move school change forward with the synergy of our collective voices!
Comments are closed.